~ Click here to read today's Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~
~ Listen to today's Scripture on ESV.org ~
New Testament - Today in Luke chapter 23 verse 34 we read this when Jesus was on the cross: "Jesus said, "Father, forgive these people, because they don't know what they are doing."" Tyndale's One Year Bible companion has a great commentary on this verse today, as follows - "There are seven sayings of Jesus uttered from the cross. They were spoken in the following order:
1) the word of forgiveness: "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:24)
2) the word of salvation: "Today shalt thou be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43)
3) the word of affection: "Woman, behold thy son"; "Behold thy mother." (John 19:26-27)
4) the word of despair: "My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?" (Matt 27:46; Mark 15:34)
5) the word of physical torment: "I thirst" (John 19:28)
6) the word of triumph: "It is finished" (John 19:30)
7) the word of committal: "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.""
Bible.org's commentary on today's readings in Luke chapter 23 titled "The Rejection of Israel's Messiah" is at this link.
Worship Video: Today's readings in Luke remind me of the song "Mighty to Save" sung here live by Michael W. Smith:
Has God saved you? Click here for Salvation!
Comments from You: What verses or insights stand out to you in today's readings? Please post up by clicking on the "Comments" link below!
p.s. I would greatly appreciate it if you would pray for this One Year Bible Blog ministry today! Please also consider partnering with us by financially supporting this ministry. Thank you!